K-12 Standard Reunification Method Toolkit
EXAMPLE 2: Lockdown
Scenario: At the middle school, an armed intruder is seen in the building. Students and staff immediately lock classroom doors, turn out the lights, and remain out of sight. Law enforcement arrives on scene.
Considerations: Because it is still an active law enforcement response and investigation, the decision is made to transport the students to a nearby community center for reunification.
Unified Command: Because it is an active crime scene, law enforcement would lead Unified Command at the middle school site.
Reunification Incident Command: At the reunification site, a command structure is established to manage the reunification.
Joint Information Center: Because it is an active crime scene, the law enforcement PIO would be the primary press representative. The school or district PIO would be in the JIC, communicating with the PIO at the reunification site.
Notifications: Parents and media are notified that the school has been placed in Lockdown. Additional notifications are made to parents on the location of the reunification site once students are in route or at the site.
Police Role in Reunification: While the school has become an active crime scene, some officers will be assigned to the reunification site. Depending on the site, police may decide to sweep the area prior to students arriving. In addition to the duties outlined in the Lockout example, detectives may be on scene for witness interviews and statements.
- School is placed in Lockdown.
- Multiple law enforcement agencies arrive on scene.
- Students and staff are evacuated classroom by classroom to the Secure Assembly Area. In this case, the gym is secured by law enforcement.
- Parents begin to arrive outside of the police perimeter.
- The media arrive on scene.
- Internet, WiFi, and cell services become intermittent or unresponsive.
- Police secure the reunification site.
- District mobilizes Reunification Team.
- Buses are deployed and students are transported to the reunification site.
- Parents are notified of location.
- The Standard Reunification Method is utilized.