The Trauma-Informed Care Workshop for Educators focuses on providing an overview of trauma, and its impact on student behaviors in the elementary (K-5) classroom. Attendees will learn about the role of mental health in daily functioning, how trauma impacts the brain, the importance of unrecognized executive function deficits, and the role neuro diverse complexities play in student behavior. Throughout the workshop, participants will be provided with concrete strategies that can be implemented in a school and/or classroom setting to support all learners through a trauma informed lens.
Specific strategies that will be discussed:
- How to identify changes in thoughts, feelings and behaviors
- Maintaining structure, routine, and consistency
- Using visual strategies to support routine and memory
- Adopting one Social Emotional Learning strategy or program
- Using calming and regulation strategies as a part of daily routines
- Practicing co-regulation
- Increasing movement during learning
- Breaking down tasks to support executive function deficits
Please Note: This training is open to public ISDs, open-enrollment charter schools, junior colleges, school-based law enforcement, and state agencies that support Texas schools. Due to limited space, vendors and contractors are not permitted to register for this training.
In order to receive Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) credit for this training each Texas Peace Officer and/or individual seeking TCOLE credit must do the following:
- Take the training on either a desktop, laptop or tablet with a camera. Cell phones are not permitted to be used for the training.
- Allow your webcam video feed to be active and monitored throughout the entire training, and you must be visible from the shoulders up.
- Be in an appropriate space free from distractions and remain focused throughout the training.
- You are not allowed to drive while participating in the training.
A TxSSC facilitator will be monitoring attendance the entire training and will be making contact with any individual who is not present in their webcam feed.
You must attend entire training to be eligible to receive 5 hours Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Credit. If a portion of the class is missed, then the entire training must be made up at a later date. Please email email@example.com if you would like to reschedule.
Business casual attire is requested.
All times listed below are in the Central Time Zone.
To begin registration, select any date tile labeled "OPEN".
In order to receive a Certificate of Participation, participants must attend entire training on their own individual device.
Current Virtual Events
Past Virtual Trainings
For more information about the Trauma-Informed Care Workshop for Educators - Elementary, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.