Youth Engagement Toolkit
I Have A Group
The goals of the Advocacy Phase are to:
- Identify partners in the community
- Take a stance for or against the topic
- Get people on your side
Questions to ask while you're planning Advocacy Activities are:
- Who do you need to include?
- Who from the school, community or local government can help us?
- How can other groups help us?
Advocacy Activities Include:
- Writing a Letter to the Editor
- Holding a rally
- Gathering signatures on a petition
- Have a letter writing campaign
Plan your Advocacy Activity
- Select one advocacy activity.
- Discuss the questions below with your group.
- Identify individuals from the listed groups who can help you.
- What community members do we need to involve with our activity?
- What can each of them do to help us
- How will we get them involved?
Individuals Who can Help:
- Companies / Business Owners
- Community Service Groups
- Superintendent / School Board
- Other Student Groups
- City Council
- Police Chief
- County Judge
- County Commissioner
- State or National Representative or Senator
Print the Advocacy Planning Sheet.