Before You Text
Sexting & Bullying Prevention, Education & Intervention Course
Teen Suicide Has Increased Dramatically
Dr. Jean Twenge, states in her article, Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation, that teen depression and suicide is at record peaks and that these dangerous trends precisely match the emergence and use of smartphones and social media.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in 20158
- Suicide became the SECOND leading cause of death for ages 10-20 in the U.S.
- Suicide killed more teens than cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease, COMBINED.
- 4 out of 5 teens who attempt suicide gave warning signs.
3 Things Are Certain:
- Suicide rates have skyrocketed
- Many teen suicides involve cyberbullying
- We are seeing more kids prosecuted for using social media to bully
The teen years seem all-encompassing when you are in them, but in reality, they make up a tiny portion of life and who you are in high school has ZERO effect on who you will be as an adult. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
8Teen Suicide Rates - www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/