Bomb Threat Management Course
Bomb threats and bomb incidents have occurred in schools, but the frequency, disruption, scope, and potential devastation of explosive-related events has increased exponentially. Even more alarming, however, is the fact that schools have not kept pace in their planning and response capabilities, instead relying on outdated, ineffective, and sometimes even dangerous protocols and procedures.
To support this effort, the Texas School Safety Center, in collaboration with the Educator’s School Safety Network, will be hosting no cost Bomb Threat Management Courses. The course offers research-based evidence of the rapidly changing nature of bomb-related risks. The course focuses on how to create best-practice based policies and protocols that assist school leaders in making critical decisions about preventing bomb-related incidents, evaluating threats, implementing evacuation procedures, selecting evacuation sites, and responding to detonation events.
This course does not train participants to identify, detect, or handle explosive devices or materials, but rather focuses on the unique planning and response activities that will be required of school decision makers when responding to a bomb threat or bomb incident.
The participant will:
- Participants will acquire a foundational understanding of the type, frequency, severity, and nature of bomb threats and incidents that occur in schools.
- Participants will examine strategies and protocols for effectively investigating and responding to bomb threats and suspicious devices in schools.
- Participants will identify and apply basic concepts related to explosives and the potential hazards of detonations.
- Participants will explore best practices designed to increase disclosures, identify potential attackers, and minimize or prevent bomb incidents in schools.
- Participants will evaluate their current bomb threat and incident protocols and create action items for improvement.
*Must attend entire training to be eligible to receive seven hours TCOLE Credit.
**No cost to attend course. Registration is required.
For more information about the Bomb Threat Management Course, please contact Cynthia J. Arredondo at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 245-3908.